Today is my birthday, I turn 32. Looking back at the past decade of my life, I feel extremely thankful for the amazing life changing experiences I have been able to share with many of you reading this. That means you have, in one way or another, touched my life and made me who I am today. So.. THANK YOU.
I have been thinking a lot about who I was when I was 22. And thought to myself, “If I could go back in time to when I was turning 22, what life advice would I give myself to better help me prepare for the next 10 years?”
This is the advice I would give myself:
- BE YOU! In the most authentic way you can be. No one knows YOU better than YOU.
- Learn how to be positive and optimistic. No one likes a negative Nancy nor a complainer. Being positive keeps things in perspective, and it helps you appreciate things more.
- Have a purpose everyday. Have a reason for waking up, Have daily goals, know why you’re doing what you’re doing. Have morning and night routines, work out daily, and journal. This is the secret sauce! It’s the small daily disciples that always help you level up in life, because they teach you the importance of consistency.
- THINK FOR YOURSELF. Learn how to make the right choice, over and over. Don’t be afraid to say “NO” to things that aren’t in a line with your life goals. This is YOUR LIFE. Don’t do the thing that everyone is doing, UNLESS it’s truly the thing YOU want to do. (job, school, religion)
- Take care of yourself mentally. There is amazing power that comes from training your mind to think positive and to visualize. Taking care of your mind makes you more focused, centered, and driven.
- Take care of yourself physically. Have health goals that will push you to be at your ideal physic. Seeing results from daily exercise will teach you what consistency and hard work looks like. You will be more confident in yourself as well.
- Learn how to live broke. You don’t need to prove anything to anyone. Living simply teaches you how to live off of what you truly need. It also teaches you how to be thankful for what you have and to save money.
- Learn how to HUSTLE. Learn how to maximize your your time by doing focused and purposeful work. Learn How to make money doing what you love. ALWAYS think longterm.
- Have a solid circle of friends. Be around people who are hustling as hard or harder than you are. Surrounding yourself with more like minded people, will help you level up in life. The people around you define who you are and what you represent.
- MOVE. get out of Utah. Experience living in a 100% different environment by yourself. Doing this will teach you how to be scrappy and hustle. You will learn how to think for yourself, how to be self dependent, and it will help you become your authentic self.
- Be extremely thankful. You have to be thankful for everything and everyone. Gratitude will teach you the importance of relationships, it will motivate you to be a better friend and brother. Gratitude will keep you grounded.
In a nutshell. Be extremely thankful, think for yourself, have routines, think of who your ideal self would be in 10 years, be positive, and most importantly, DO YOU!