MAKE A DRASTIC CHANGE.
The best thing I did this year was getting out of my comfort zone in Utah and making the move to Seattle. Though I have only been here for three months, I have never been happier and never more motivated than I am now. Here are 10 reasons why making a drastic change is good for you, number 5 is my favorite.
- Confidence: I have always struggled with this and it was a major reason why I stayed in UT for so long. It took moving to Seattle to find my inner confidence and put my skills and myself to the test. Having the confidence in myself that I was skilled enough, despite what others thought or said, was all I needed to make the move. It wasn't easy, but I know I am skilled. So I kept telling myself (and still do) if someone doesn't appreciate you, someone else will.
- Hustle: I'm a college drop out with a resume that is built on hustle. Trying to find opportunity in a big city with no college edu has been more difficult than I thought. I keep telling myself that I'm just as good as the next guy, I just have to prove it. The only way to prove it is to learn, apply, hustle (work), and put myself out there as much as I can. I know that once my work is done and out there, more doors will open.
- Time Efficiency: Because I live in downtown Seattle, I walk everywhere, something I never did in Utah. Walking everywhere has taught me how to use my time more wisely. I wrote an article about saving time (HERE).
- Purpose: I never felt like I had a purpose in Utah. In Seattle, because I don't know anyone, it has fueled my purpose more than ever. I want to prove people wrong, I want to be better every day, I want to make a name for myself, and I want to do it with no ties, no connections, just straight hustle, and grit.
- Opportunity: Learning to create opportunity has been the major thing moving to Seattle has taught me. It's INSANELY easy to get a job or get a gig if you have a connection. But take all connections away and put yourself in a completely different place, then skill takes over, and that's how you create opportunity.
- Eliminate Distractions: Living in the same place creates comfort and routines that are time-consuming. If you have insane goals like I do, but are also easily distracted like I am, then you know how easy it is to put work aside and have some fun. I have eliminated all distractions by removing myself from everything I knew.
- Appreciate Friends/Family: I am the person who needs to feel validation, feel loved, etc. call me emo or whatever, but for reals, I need human connections. So leaving a place where I had "friends" made me realize who my real "friends" were, and it also made me appreciate the time I spend with my family so much more. And the bonus, is now I can make new friends while strengthening my relationship with my already close friends.
- Relearn: I feel like I'm relearning every day. Learning how to make friends, talk to females, make ends meet, etc. Skills we take for granted.
- Accomplishment: Since I was in High School, I knew I didn't belong in Utah. Living here I have been pushing myself daily to accomplish things, big and small. Knowing I'm surviving with these little accomplishments has improved my mental health and confidence.
- YOLO: It's cheesy but true. ONE LIFE, that's it. Moving to Seattle has taught me that I can do hard things and survive. I can make it work. It's not easy, but it's worth to change it up .
I challenge you to make a DRASTIC change to your comfort zone this year. You will be surprised with your inner greatness. You will find it's easier to be positive when you're pursuing you.
Make 2018 your best yet. You've got my support.
Much love. and cheers.